The Distance Education Department provides leadership and support for online learning and the use of technology to enhance learning at Wharton County Junior College. Our staff assists faculty, departments, and divisions in offering and managing their online courses.
All full-time and part-time faculty members wishing to teach Internet, Hybrid, or web-supplemented courses using D2L Brightspace, WCJC's learning management system, are required to successfully complete in-house Brightspace training. All faculty at WCJC must also complete the Accessibility: Six Core Skills training. Online supplemental instructors, course designers, or others seeking to use the LMS are also required to complete these in-house training modules. Other training modules are also provided for faculty edification. Visit the Brightspace system's WCJC Resources course for more information.
Faculty Support and Resources
All faculty utilizing the Brightspace Learning Management System have been given access to a "WCJC Resources" course. Faculty are encouraged to e-mail suggestions, weblinks, and/or articles to the Distance Education Department for addition to the WCJC Resources course.
The WCJC Resources course is continually updated and is the centralized location to access:
- The DE Faculty Support Request Form
- Online Teaching and Learning Articles
- Information Regarding Legal Issues, Copyright, and Accessibility in Higher Education
- Tutorials, guides, and instructions for using a wide variety of Brightspace features
- Social Media, Apps, and Web 2.0 Tools Information
- Instructional Technology Applications
- Downloads to DE-related Software including SoftChalk and more